What do the Keto/Banting (low carb) meal plan and lifestyle entail?
Banting is a term that refers to a low-carb, high-fat meal plan. It was named after William Banting, a funeral director in London who was terribly overweight in his thirties. After drastically reducing his weight and improving his health, his diet became known as the Banting diet.
With the Banting revolution that Professor Tim Noakes set in motion, people started losing weight without getting hungry or feeling deprived for the first time in their lives.
Fat is your friend
Banting is for people who struggle to lose weight if they eat carbohydrates (bread, potatoes, rice, sugar, and other starches), since carbs and sugars cause your insulin levels to rise, resulting in chronic hunger and frequent cravings.
This plan is ideal for people who are insulin resistant as well as people suffering from obesity. It’s a low-carb, high-fat meal plan where carbs and sugars are entirely eliminated, whilst more good fats are permitted. In other words – if you feel bloated after eating carbs such as bread, or if you gain weight after eating carbs, including sugars, then this meal plan is for you.
The carbs that you consume are in vegetables. You get your energy from “fats” like olive oil, butter, full cream products, cheese, etc. The latest research suggests that it is not fat in the diet that causes heart diseases, but rather refined carbs and sugars.
This meal plan is compiled by Anel Kirsten, a dietitian from Paarl and Dr Schoombee from Stellenbosch.
Is Banting for you?
Some people are so used to snacking between meals, that it’s an adjustment to only eat when you’re hungry. Once you get used to eliminating sugar and starch from your diet, your brain will automatically begin to regulate the amount of calories your body needs. That way, your weight will eventually stabilise.
Important: With the Banting lifestyle a person only eats when hungry. You can skip meals if you aren’t hungry. If you get hungry between meals, then you didn’t consume enough fat with your previous meal and should do so with your next meal.
Read the guidelines below to decide if Banting is for you.
Guidelines for the Banting Eating Plan:
- Eliminate all sugars and sweeteners from your diet, except Xylitol and Erythritol.
- Eliminate all cereals, starch and refined carbohydrates from your diet.
- Eat vegetables, as this is your source of carbohydrates.
- Fruits are high in sugar and will increase your blood sugar levels. Therefore, you must limit fruit intake. Eat berries in moderation, but try to rather eat more vegetables, even if you prefer them raw.
- Eat fat. As part of the Banting meal plan, your source of energy is healthy fats. Seed oil (such as Canola oil) is not allowed! The fats in the Banting diet (butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.) serve as appetite suppressors. Due to the hight fat contents of your meals, you feel satiated. Since you feel hungry less often, you eat less. Remember, fat is not your enemy!
- Do not consume too much protein. This is not a hight protein diet, but rather a hight fat, medium protein, low carbohydrate diet. A good guide is to use the size and thickness of your palm (without including your fingers) as reference for the size of a portion of protein.
- Eat until satiated. Do not overeat.
- Don’t eat if you are not hungry.
- Eat a variety of foods, so that you consume enough nutrients daily.
*** If you have a health condition and are unsure about whether you can follow the Banting plan, consult your doctor first.
There is a long list of lifestyle benefits:
- Weight loss
- Hunger is a thing of the past
- No cravings
- Lots of energy
- Mentally sharper
- Better sleep
- Exercise better
- More stable blood sugar level
- Joint pain reduced
What do ladies who have done Banting say?
“Hi Linda. I usually struggle to lose weight, but I have already lost 9kg over 3 months by following the Banting diet and also have more energy.”
– A. Minnie
“I have already lost 1,4kg in 4 days.”
– M.C.M Stevens
“This is a fantastic eating plan. I’m now busy with week 2 and already 4,2kg down. Never hungry and no cravings.”
– A. du Toit
“I am a diabetic, drink medication 2 times a day and inject insulin 4 times a day. I regularly monitor my blood sugar. Lost 3kg for February and my blood sugar average is fantastic. The best in 8 years to be honest. My doctor is very impressed. Thank you Linda.”
– L.G. Botha
Where to get the Low Carb (Banting) eating plan?
Click here to discover the difference between the app and the online plans: DIFFERENCE
Click here to get the LK Fitness App.
Click here for the Best Body Banting Plan