Mediterranean Recipe – Vegetable tart
This vibrant vegetable tart is perfect for casual entertaining or to serve for a family dinner.
This recipe comes from our Mediterranean Easy Diet E-Book.
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 medium aubergine, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion (or 2 medium onions), thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 120g cream cheese
- 120g feta cheese, crumbled
- 7 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium eggs
- 200ml cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Start by roasting the vegetables, except for the onions and tomatoes. Place vegetables in an ovenproof dish, season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat and place in the oven until soft.
- While the vegetables are roasted, heat olive oil in a frying pan; sauté the onions together with the bay leaves for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until they turn brown, soft and sweet. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaves and set aside.
- Lightly grease a 22cm tart tin.
- Scatter the cooked onion over the bottom of the tart tin and top with the roasted vegetables, arranging them evenly. Sprinkle half of the thyme leaves over. Next dot the vegetables with small chunks of both cheeses and then with the tomato halves, cut-side up.
- Whisk the eggs and cream in a bowl with some salt and pepper. Carefully and slowly pour this mix into the tart tin. Scatter the remaining thyme over.
- Place on the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the filling sets and turns golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.