These scones have a lower fat, lower GI and higher fibre content than the tradisional scone recipe therefore you wil feel statisfied for longer. Enjoy a scone for breakfast or as a mid morning or afternoon tea or coffee snack. If you want to lose weight do not snack between meals.
You can also use this dough to make a Low GI pizza base. Remove the sultanas or apricots and use less milk to make it more managable.
- 1½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup oat bran
- 1 large apple, cored and grated
- 4 tablespoons sultanas or 8 dried apricot halves
- 3 tablespoons lite margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup fat free milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F) and spray a 12-hole muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the oat bran and lift a few times with a tablespoon to incorporate air. Add the apple and sultanas or apricots and mix through.
- Melt the margarine in the microwave for 20-30 seconds on high. Add the beaten egg and milk and stir. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir gently with a fork until a dough form. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon the dough into 10 holes of the lightly greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool down, then remove from the muffin pan and allow to cool down properly on a wire rack.
- Makes 10.
Download the Linda Ktiel Fitness App for more recipes, daily eating plans and exercise programs, here: https://lindakriel.co.za/app-2-2/