Low GI Breakfast Bars
These bars are ideal for days when you have limited time to prepare breakfast.
Because the bars are quite moist, they do not stay fresh for a long time. Freeze the bars in an airtight container if you are not going to eat them within 2 days.
This recipe is from our dietician Anel Kirsten, and you will find this recipe, and many more delicious meals and recipes in our LK FITNESS APP.
(Makes 15 bars)
125 ml (2 cups) cake flour
2 ml (2 teaspoon) salt
125 ml (2 cup) oatmeal
125 ml (2 cups) whole grain cereal of your choice (e.g. Pronutro)
125 ml (2 cups) high-fibre breakfast cereal (e.g All Bran flakes) finely crushed
250 ml (1 cup) oats
1 apple, peeled and grated
125 ml (2 cups) sultanas (raisins)
1 egg white
75 ml (5 tablespoons) fruit flavour low-fat yogurt
60 ml (4 tablespoons) soft lite margarine
90 ml (6 tablespoons) caramel brown sugar
30 ml (2 tablespoons) golden syrup
2 ml (1/2 teaspoons) baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (356°F)
- Sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the oatmeal, whole grain cereal (Pronutro), high-fibre breakfast cereal and oats. Stir with an upward motion to aerate.
- Add the grated apple, sultanas (raisins), egg white and yogurt and mix well.
- Heat the margarine, sugar and syrup together in a saucepan and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Add the baking soda and stir until it foams. Pour over the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. The dough will be slightly crumbly.
- Spoon the dough into one half of a lightly greased baking tray. Spread it out evenly and firmly to a thickness of 1,5cm. Bake 25-30 minutes long or until golden brown.
- Use a hot knife to cut it in 15 breakfast bars while still hot. Allow to cool.
Get our Low GI, Banting and Mediterranean meal plans and recipes on the LK FITNESS App
Click here to find out more: LK FITNESS APP