A body scrub serves as an exfoliant, physically removing dead skin cells from the outer layer of your skin with abrasive ingredients, like sugar or salt. Body scrubs stimulate skin cell turnover resulting in four main benefits:
- Your skin looks smoother and brighter.
- Your skin absorbs moisturiser better.
- Your pores are unclogged, possibly preventing breakouts.
- Ingrown hairs are prevented.
Experts say that body scrubs are especially great during winter when your skin can get very dry.
Using a body scrub is relatively straightforward, but do so twice a week at most:
- Rinse your skin with warm water.
- Apply the scrub with your fingertips.
- Scrub your hands and feet in a circular motion and move inward.
- Rinse thoroughly using warm water.
- Pat skin dry, leaving it slightly damp, applying moisturiser while your skin is still damp to trap in the moisture.
There are many types of body scrubs, for instance, salt, sugar, coffee or charcoal scrubs. See the recipe below for a body scrub you can make at home, in just five minutes, with things you already have in your pantry. Surf the web for other great DIY recipes.
Homemade body scrub with brown sugar and coconut oil
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup solid (but soft) coconut oil
- Extra additions according to your preference: vanilla extract, essential oils, etc.
- Whip together the sugar, oil, and any extra additions until the mixture looks creamy and resembles loose cookie dough.
- You may use a food processor, but don’t let it process too long or the coconut oil will melt and the mixture will separate. If this happens, just put it in the freezer for a few minutes to solidify and mix again.
- Store in an airtight container. Lasts for weeks. Maybe months. If it’s stored in the shower, you may have the same problem with separation as the coconut oil warms. Just stir it around with your finger before using it.
This recipe produces around 1½ cups of sugar scrub which has no expiration date.
Looking for other great tips, weekly meal plans and exercise programs? Click here to find out more and download the LK Fitness App, which is now suitable for women AND men.
If you have an active monthly LK Fitness App subscription, but would like to upgrade to a yearly subscription, click on your profile on the app (bottom right), and then click on Upgrade. Follow the instructions.
For any questions Whatsapp us: 078 040 4297 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org