Featured low GI recipe – Chilli con pollo
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g lean minced (ground) chicken or ostrich
- 1-2 teaspoons mild chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (concentrated purée)
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 250 g (l cup) low-fat plain yoghurt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until soft.
- Increase the heat and add the chicken.
- Cook until browned, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chilli powder and cook for I minute.
- Add the tomato, tomato paste and 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) water and stir well. Bring to the boil.
- Then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans and heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice.
- Sprinkle the chilli con pollo with the parsley and serve with yoghurt and rice.
Click here to find out more and get 7 days free when you try out the LK FITNESS App (which includes recipes for all three eating plans): LK FITNESS APP